Thursday, May 28, 2015

First Urgent Care and ER Visits

We've had our first real injuries for Owen. Both occurred less than a week apart from each other. Also, both occurred when Patrick was out of town. Awesome, right?

First, there was this little beauty.


Running through the house full speed and fell right into a corner. I think his head hit the baseboard. We went to the urgent care clinic close by and they glued it. The glue didn't hold it very well, but we tried... Live and learn.
Memorial Day, we had our first trip to Children's ER to fix what's called nursemaid elbow. I was holding Owen's hand trying to pull him away from his toys to eat and he jerked away from me which is apparently, the classic story and cause of the injury. I'd heard about this type of injury before, but had completely forgotten about it being common in toddlers. Also, I was thrown off because he kept saying his armpit is what hurt. He absolutely refused to move the arm voluntarily and cried anytime it was moved. Getting in and out of his car seat was the worst part.

He preferred to lay against me with his arm bent in between us and Mickey Mouse over my shoulder.
Five minutes after they reduced it, he was exploring the room.
Luckily, we were in and out of the ER in less than an hour. I was so worried it was going to be crazy busy with it being a holiday and after normal business hours for urgent care clinics. Thankfully, I was wrong.

So we are 2 for 2 for Patrick's trips out of town so far. I wasn't kidding when I said to keep us in your prayers. If this is an indication of how the summer is going to be, we are in big trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. That looks like it must have hurt. I remember when we had to take our daughter to get stitches for the first time. She had just started walking and she slipped and hit her chin pretty hard on the ground. Apparently it happens quite a bit. She was pretty brave about the whole thing though, which was good.

    Clinton Bashir @ U.S. HealthWorks Spokane Valley

    ReplyDelete