Wednesday, August 6, 2014

28 before 29

I've always been a goal setter. I like to have to-do lists and love the feeling of crossing things off. Maybe some of you remember my silly little goals for my 25th birthday? I didn't accomplish everything on the list, but that's okay. I did some of it. I'm 28 years old today and since this will by my best year yet (every year is), I'm making yet another list.

28 before 29

1. Read the entire Bible start to finish. There is a reason this is at the top of the list. I'm fairly certain I've read the whole Bible but never from start to finish. I'll confess that I have a bit of a head start on this one but I wanted to list it anyway. I'm currently in Deuteronomy. I'm using a Bible app with a 90 day plan. I'm just wanting to quickly read through it. I don't care to stop and pause and have lengthy quiet times with it right now. I just want to take a few months to go cover to cover.

2. Take a spin class. I've heard it's a killer workout and that it burns a ton of calories. I'm not so sure how my boney tush with like it, but I'd like to just try it out once. There is a new studio that just opened close to me and I'm hoping to give it a try soon.

3. Blog more consistently. There have been times that I've severely neglected this blog. I feel like I've been on a roll lately and I'd like to keep it up.

4. Try new clean recipes. Patrick and I have been on a clean eating kick this year. It's been great, but sometimes I feel like I get stuck in a rut. I want to force myself to try new stuff.

5. Explore more of Birmingham. Since I finally made it to the Birmingham Zoo this past year (you can see that post here), I'd love to explore more of what Birmingham has to offer. I know that there is plenty more that I haven't seen (i.e. Civil Rights Institute, Birmingham Museum of Art, Red Mountain Park).

6. Think about expanding the family. Eek! We're not getting any younger and, since we know we want more than one, I guess we better get to work pretty soon. Please Lord, no summer babies though! Thank you.

7. Give more. This is kind of vague I realize. I truly believe that we are blessed to be a blessing. Patrick and I have finally been giving consistently to the church this year thanks to automatic withdrawal becoming an option. We are currently praying and thinking about giving to some different missionaries we know. However, I want to make a more conscious effort to be more giving with my time and not just my money. I'm not sure how this will play out, but it'll be something to think about.

8. Be a better friend. I'm not a great friend. I'm just being honest here. For years I was too independent for it (really just too hurt) and now it seems that I get too busy. I want to be better about checking in with my friends and even visiting them. Do you here that Casey Farrah Reed Lynch? I'm coming to see you sometime this year. It's happening. I gotta meet that sweet baby girl of yours!  

9. Get a pedicure. I bought brand new nail polish back in May so that I could paint my toenails before summer. I thought for sure I'd get it done. Nope! These toenails haven't seen a bit of polish in almost a year now. 

10. Date Patrick more consistently. Patrick and I go out to eat every Thursday for our "date night". Only problem is we take Owen more often than not and we go with friends. Now I love Owen and our friends, but I think we should probably do better about taking time as a couple (especially if #6 works out). I'm thinking once a month would be a good goal.

11. This goes along with #10. I want to make a date night box. Sound sketchy? It's not, I promise! If one of us hears about a new bar or restaurant that we want to try I want to drop it in the box. When date night is coming, we reach in, grab a note card, and that's where we go. I feel like it'll help us get out exploring.

12. Read. I want to get through at least 6 books this year. I will take suggestions. Currently on my list is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

13. Finish the basement renovation. This includes painting those darn bookcases. We will have this done before I turn 29.

14. Hardwood floors in the guest room. While we are on the subject of home renovation, let's talk about what else needs to be done. When we got hardwood floors when I was pregnant with Owen, we didn't finish everything. We left the guest room because we needed a place to shove everything. We just couldn't move everything out of the house so the carpet stayed in one room.

15. Landscaping. I'm ready to have some bushes in our front yard again. We don't need to get fancy, but I'd like the basics back. I'm willing to pay someone to do it. 

16. Host more. Homes should be filled with love and laughter. Patrick and I would love to open up our home more to friends and family. We're thinking about having people over more regularly- like trading in a Lindo night once a month for some Mexican and margaritas at our place.

17. Start a college fund for Owen. Pretty self-explanatory I think.

18. Run a 5k. Since I've been training with my C25k app, I should probably plan on running a 5k at some point. It doesn't have to be a race. I'll be happy if I just do it independently. However, I know some runners that might want to join me. Could be good to have some company and accountability.

19. Get another stamp in my passport. This could be a tough one. I'm really not sure if it can be done this year, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

20. Go for a hike. This was on my list last time and I don't think we did it! This can probably be done pretty soon. I'd love to take a Thursday to hike somewhere as a family. Maybe we'll just hit up Oak Mountain State Park since it is like two minutes from our house.

21. Take time to tell my family how much they mean to me while they are still here. I'm not trying to be morbid. I just want to do something small for the people in my life that matter most. I want them to know that I see them, that I appreciate them, and that I love them.

22. Make a rainy day box. Patrick remembers having this as a kid. There was a box that contained toys that he and his brother could only play with when it was raining.

23. Go on vacation with Patrick. It doesn't have to be big. We usually do this every year, but it needed to be on here as a goal. We missed taking a trip as the two of us in 2013 because Owen came along. We need to get it in before I'm breastfeeding another babe.

24. Clean out our closets and donate. This is also something I usually do every year, but it's especially bad right now. I have no idea why, but it needs to be done asap.

25. Keep the herb garden alive. I've been doing pretty good since I planted my herbs (post here). I'd love to keep them going and even add to them.

26. Get clean(er). Like I said, Patrick and I started eating a more clean diet towards the beginning of this year, but I know that I can do better. We started drinking black coffee, switched our bread, and buy all natural peanut butter. However, I'd like to start cutting out alcohol and even more processed items.

27. Develop my style. My closet is sort of all over the place. I'll be honest, I'm not a shopper and I never have been. Shopping for clothes is not something I really like doing. Now that I have Owen, I'm even less inclined to head out to the stores. My wardrobe is suffering. I need to take some time to replace items (like my favorite skinny jeans that got a hole in them) as well as add to what I've got.

28. Practice Sabbath rest. I'd like to protect Thursday even more. I'd like to keep my phone off (literally off) most of the day. I want to find a way to set the day apart as it should be. I'd really love to figure out a way to get grocery shopping done on Wednesday if at all possible. I'll also say that I think this day should be more about what we do with the extra time provided by eliminating a lot of buying, selling, and technology.

I think this will be the last time I make a list this long. It was hard work coming up with that much. Maybe I'll stick to 5-10 items from now on.

2 comments:

  1. I think I can help you accomplish a couple of these ;) I have And the Mountains Echoed if you want to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete