Monday, July 28, 2014

C25K

I used to be more of a runner. I've run in several 5k races through the years. I even trained and ran a half marathon back in February of 2010. Then I sort of stopped running. It started because of shin splints. They were terrible. I tried backing off but still running and it wasn't working so I just stopped. Since then I've picked up zumba, yoga, and P90X3 to stay in shape but I missed running. I missed being outside.

I'm a chicken in the winter months so I stay inside to exercise. Once Owen came along, indoor workouts made even more sense. I could easily throw in a DVD and do a quick 30 minute P90X3 workout while Owen was napping. I was enjoying the setup until the weather got nice. Also, Owen dropped his morning nap so I wasn't getting time to workout until the afternoon. I tried waking up early for a while to do my workout before anyone woke up but it was terrible. I have always been a morning workout type of person so I wanted to figure out what I could do. That's when I realized that it was time to break back into running. The only problem was that I was unsure of where to start. I didn't want to cause an injury or bring back the terrible shin splints.

I was familiar with the couch to 5k program (C25K) but had never needed it (until now). It's a good program because it eases you into running a 5k over eight weeks and it only requires three runs a week. There is plenty of time for muscle recovery with a program like this. Also, I have time to throw in some yoga if I feel like it on an off day. I found a free app for my phone and decided to go for it back in June. Best decision ever. I'm currently on week 6 of my C25K program. 


Long story short- I am loving it! It feels good to run again. I look forward to it most mornings. Even if I wasn't looking forward to it, I'm always glad I did it afterwards or even as I'm pulling into the parking lot. I swear, sometimes getting out the door is 90% of the battle.

I take Owen with me in the BOB and he enjoys it.


The two parks that I run at have playgrounds so we can take some time to play once I finish my run. It's the perfect way to spend the morning three days a week.


Figuring out how to work out after a baby definitely requires some planning and flexibility. I'm happy that I've found something that seems to be working so well. I haven't signed up to run any races but maybe I'll do it this fall. We'll see:) Also, there is a 14 week program that gets you to a 10k. I've never run a 10k. Maybe I'll do that!

If anyone out there wants to get back into running or is just looking to get in shape, I highly recommend this program.

Anyone else out there tried either program? I'd love to hear what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment