Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Birmingham Zoo

Last Thursday we took a family trip to the zoo. I have lived in Birmingham for almost 10 years (dang, that sounds long) and I had never been to the zoo. It's not that I haven't wanted to go. I'd just never made it a priority. I was encouraged by my coworkers this past weekend to take Owen. I decided Thursday (Patrick's off day) would be the perfect time to go.



We got there around 9:30 and I think we left close to 12:00. It was a quick visit, but I guess that's how it goes with an 18 month old in tow. I really think Owen enjoyed it in spite of the quick tour. We just never stopped long enough to read much of anything about the animals. It was, "Look at the otter!" and then after a few seconds he was ready for the next animal.

watching the elephants



I had fun watching Owens' independence emerge. We took the Bob stroller with us but he probably only sat in it for about 20 seconds the whole time we were there. He wanted to walk around and explore. About midway through the trip Patrick and I realized that he probably would have been just as happy to explore the Botanical Gardens. Owen is really into plants at the moment. He's fascinated by leaves, flowers, grass, sticks, dirt, rocks, all of it. The animals were great, but he couldn't touch them. He's in a tactile stage I guess.

Overall, I'm glad we went. It was funny to see Owens reaction or non-reaction to the animals. I'm sure we will go back for another visit at some point. Sometimes I forget how much this city has to offer. It really is a great place to live.



No comments:

Post a Comment