Monday, May 19, 2014

18 Months


This little man is 18 months old as of yesterday. He is starting to look more and more like a little boy each day. His hair is finally growing in thick(er) and it helps make him look older.


Health and Growth:
I'm pretty certain he had a growth spurt recently. He is wearing a lot of 24 month size outfits now. We go to see the pediatrician on Thursday. Maybe he will be built like me with a long torso and short strong legs. He got his daddy's pigeon toes though. I'm actually wondering what they are going to say about it. I'm kind of suspecting that they are going to tell us to put his shoes on the wrong feet for a while.


Milestones:
I feel like I'm really bad and reporting on these, but I'm trying to at least record what sticks out. Let's see...

Cognitive:
He will correctly point to specific body parts when prompted. "Where is/are your... nose, ears, eyes, hair, teeth, bellybutton, toes, fingers." Amazing to see that he understands what we are asking and will correctly point to the right thing. I can ask him to throw something away and he will. It's nice getting him to pick up his own dropped cheerios off the floor. He is also learning to pretend play. Hilarious for sure! He mostly likes to pretend to cook, eat, and drink things. He's his daddy through and through!

Speech:
We've got some words starting to form. It's fun to hear his little voice. Owen's first word was "ball." He has mastered "bye" and "baby". He also consistently says, "bath" and "teeth" but they come out more like "ba" and "teese". "Daddy" is pronounced "dadden" and for some reason I am "momma" sometimes but more often I am "bobyn". Some days he really likes to practice one word in particular but then he stops saying it for a while which I have found interesting. For example, one day he walked around peeking around the couch or corners every so often so that he could say "hey". He would even leave the room and come back so he could practice. Then he stopped saying the word for a few days. His new words in the past week include "shoes" and "go." They are pronounced "oose" and "gu." I am already loving the language development stage. It's hilarious to hear the whole process and discover what words he comes up with.

Owen had a moment of clear speech last week that I posted on. He said, "Love you, Daddy." It still makes me happy thinking about it. Funny how he will occasional burst out with some words that are completely clear. He told me "Love you" the following night when I put him to bed. Then he told me "bye" as I walked out of his room. 


Motor:
He is starting to enjoy his blocks. He mastered putting them together to build towers. He is also getting around a lot better. Climbing stairs is his favorite and he's getting a lot faster at it. I can't get him to go down more than a couple before he begs me to carry him. I've been teaching him how to go down them on his tummy.

Eating:
When Owen get's hungry he will walk over to his highchair, point to it and say,"Eese, eese" (translation: Eat, eat). He loves just about everything we put in front of him. He can be funny about green vegetables sometimes but I can't really figure out why. Sometimes he will gobble up zucchini but then the next week he will spit it out. He will do the same with asparagus. I'm not sure why he has such a love hate relationship with his greens. He is still drinking whole milk three times a day and water with snacks. We don't really offer juice since his tummy seems to have no digestion problems. He is starting to eat with utensils some of the time. There was one morning in particular that he refused to eat his eggs until I gave him a fork.


Sleeping:
We are down to one nap a day and still sleeping through the night. Owen began dropping his early morning nap around 16 months. It was a gradual process. The morning nap started happening later and then some days he wouldn't nap in the afternoon. I would always put him in his crib for some quiet time at least, but he didn't always sleep. That's when I knew he was really done with two naps. For a while it was back and forth as to whether he would take one or two naps that day. We just kind of rolled with it until he was through with the transition. He now wakes up around 8:00am, takes a nap around 1pm, and goes to bed around 7:30 or 8pm.

Loves:
Praise baby, puppies, playing outside, going through drawers and cabinets, and reading books. Owen also loves dancing. He will shake his shoulders and stomp his feet and it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen. One of my greatest joys is watching Patrick dance around with Owen in his arms in the kitchen. I hope the image stays in my head forever. Tickle monster is a knew favorite game. I love watching a smile creep across his face when I ask, "Owen, do you want to play tickle monster?" He will laugh and then ask for more.


Besides eating which we've covered (see above), this boy also loves to hear mommy sing just about anything. I will only sing for him. I cherish it because I know that one day he will realize that mommy can't carry a tune in a bucket and he won't want to hear me anymore. For now, I enjoy singing and watching him clap along.

Quick story... Owen and I went to visit my family a few weeks ago. It's about a 3 hour drive and we weren't driving during nap hours so Owen was awake the whole time. After about an hour, he became restless. To pass the time and keep him calm, I began singing. I sang a little bit of everything.... Wheels on the bus, itsy bitsy spider, take me out the ballgame, and then I starting singing the "groundhog song." It's some crazy song my dad used to sing to us when we were little and I have no earthly idea where it came from. As I finished up the song I looked up to see Owen signing the word "more" to me. So I sang the whole song again. I looked back and he was smiling and clapping for me. Once again, he signed "more." This time I tried singing something different... Oh buddy, instant tears... So I stopped and said, "Owen, do you want the song about the groundhog?" He laughed and nodded his head yes. I lost count of how many times I had to sing about the old groundhog. Small sacrifice to keep the peace on a long solo car trip.


Hates:
Owen hates the sun in his face, but he also hates hats and sunglasses. He doesn't like the water being turned off in the tub, being told it's time for "night night", the vacuum cleaner, the power drill (anything loud really), and that could be about it. Luckily, it's a short list right now.

Dear Owen,
What an incredible blessing you are! We've experienced such sadness during the past few months. Your Papa and your Granny both went to Heaven. You were also going to have a little brother or sister at the end of this summer, but God had different plans. I can honestly tell you that you have brought smiles during sadness and laughter in the midst of tears.

Being your mommy is the best job I've ever had. You are such a sweet baby and I'm not just saying that because you are mine. People tell me all the time how sweet you are. Strangers comment on how well behaved you are. You blow kisses to people wherever you go. The restaurant that we eat at every week has even told us that you are the only baby that they will seat in the bar section. You are so content and very observant. You only really get upset if you are hurt, hungry, or tired. 

I pray that this sweet nature of yours continues. I'm excited to watch you grow and develop into my little boy. I hope that you always know how much I love you. I love you so much that it almost hurts. I love you so much that there is nothing you can do to change it. What's amazing is that God loves you even more than that. I'm so thankful he chose me to be your mom.

I know that we have many years ahead. I also know that they will go by in a flash. I'm aware that the teenage years can be troublesome. They will come and, Lord willing, we will get through them together just like every hurdle we've faced thus far. I hope that you will learn to lean forward into life without fear and without guilt. The Lord has you in the palm of his hand. Cling to Him, sweet boy. He will never let you go.

Love always and forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment