Friday, March 28, 2014

Basement Reno and Painting Paneling... Again

This sure is going slower than expected. I began the basement overhaul in December. It's been slow progress working between illness, miscarriage, naps, trips, and work. I'll finish eventually!

When we bought this house the basement was covered in paneling. I'm not opposed to paneling, but it was pretty bad. Also, once we put down the laminate wood floors, there was way too much wood grain going on. I'm not a stranger to painting paneling. I started with our laundry room a few years ago. You can read about that here.

Since we've been working on fixing up the basement, it was time to take care of the paneling in the rest of the main living space. This time I tried a different approach. Instead of priming and then painting two coats. I bought two-in-one paint and primer and only painted two coats. It was awesome! Also, a little faster which is a big plus.

Just so you can refresh your memory. Here is our before. It felt really dark even though we have pretty good natural light down there.


And here is some progress.





The walls and the baseboards are finished. Plus, I stained the little strip of quarter round surrounding the fireplace. Maybe I'll get a close up of that later. I've also stained the mantle. The shelves are in progress. By that, I mean the casings are primed.

It's amazing to me how much better the floors look without the competition from the walls.

I guess I should also mentioned that we bought a rug for the space. My first purchase didn't work out, but we got it right the second time.

First attempt. Found at World Market.
The first rug went well, but it wasn't playful enough for the space.


Our second and final rug came from Target. I had to order it online because they only carry up to 5'x7' in the store we needed the 8'x10'. We got free shipping so it actually worked out better than purchasing in the store. No hassle with trying to get the rug home.


Here is a quick peek at what will become the "office".


And here you can get a peek at Patrick's addition to the space- a pull up bar. We've been doing our work outs in the basement. The bar hangs from the floor joists and when we need to hide it, it can be removed and the ceiling tile replaced.

We still have a pretty long to do list down there, but it's nice to have made a little progress.

1 comment:

  1. With all the work you’ve done on your house, 2014 was definitely a busy year for you. That must’ve been exhausting for all of you, considering that you had to juggle other personal things aside from that. But I guess good results always can change one’s mood; especially if it something as beautiful as your new living room. Enjoy!

    Richmond Gordon @ CertaPro Painters Ltd.

    ReplyDelete