Friday, December 7, 2012

The last 7 weeks...

Since Owen did in fact arrive a little early (36 weeks and 2 days), it appears that I have about 7 weeks from my pregnancy that got missed on this little blog. I'm very disappointed in myself, but what's done is done. I'm going to do my best to give the briefest of brief weekly updates to bring this thing up to speed.

Week 30
This was the week following my day of contractions at work that got me sent home and got my doctor saying things like "modified bed rest". The only other thing I remember from this week is that my doctor and I decided that it would be a good idea to go ahead and give me betamethasone. For the non-medical folk out there, this drug which is just a steroid injection is given in two doses, 24 hours apart. The steroid is given to increase surfactant in the lungs of a preterm baby. Surfactant is the lubricant that helps the lungs expand to fill with air following delivery. A baby begins making its own surfactant around 32-33 weeks. The medical belief is that the injections provide about two weeks of effectiveness. Thus, I would be in the clear until the little bean started producing his own surfactant.

This was actually taken at 29 weeks, but it's close enough I guess.

Week 31
This is the week that life began to get a little crazy, slightly stressful, and exciting all at the same time. It was decided that we would have work done on our house. New hardwood floors, a new deck, and a couple of other changes were headed our way the following week. In preparation for these changes, Patrick began ripping up carpet and I began packing up everything in our pantries, our living room, and our basement. This was also the week that I picked out a paint color for the nursery. I remember walking around Lowe's feeling like I was about to drop this kid at any second. I spent about an hour picking up everything that I needed, which is way slower than my pre-pregnant paint purchasing pace. Funny... I can't even remember what the color is called right now. I'll have to update on that later when I post about the nursery. I had to work that weekend, but while I was gone, work began. My sweet sister and her friend came over Saturday while I was at work and painted the nursery for us. Patrick's parents, brother, and friend came over to tear down the old deck and rip up more carpet. I came home after work on Saturday to a house that was a complete disaster area.

carpet removal in the basement

Week 32
After my weekend of work and house upheaval, I decided to escape to visit my family for a few days. I was hoping that while I was away, the whole house would be put back together. It didn't quite work out that way, but I'm glad I managed to get away. I had yet another ultrasound done while I was with family and everything looked great. He was measuring a little over 4 pounds and looking chubbier.

Week 33
Work continued on the house and I had to face the reality of living in a renovation zone. Baby and I took a tumble down the stairs in our house on Thursday morning of this week. I think the cause was twofold... 1) my boots and 2) the lip at the top of the stairs from where the flooring had been removed. I quit wearing those boots for the duration of the pregnancy and the workers fixed the lip while I was away at work. Don't worry, Owen and I were okay. The only thing going through my head was "don't hit your stomach" the whole way down and I didn't. My knees and shin were bruised up and I was really sore the next day, but he was okay and that is all that mattered to me.

instagram photo
Week 34
Towards the end of this week I quit taking the procardia that I'd been taking to slow contractions. It was amazing to me how much better I felt, too. The work on the house was for the most part finished (we still have a minor punch list to tackle) but it was nice to be able to put the house back together. My mom and sister both came by at different times to help me put things back. In terms of nesting, it was this week that the crib arrived and Patrick put it together.

Week 35
I quickly started making progress on the nursery this week. My nesting went into overdrive. I washed clothes and bedding, organized, cleaned, and started purchasing things that I needed. It was during this week that I went to the doctor and was officially called 2cm, 75% effaced, and -2 station.We also had two showers within this week. One shower was with the youth and the other was with Patrick's family. I was starting to feel like Owen was taking up every bit of space that I had available. I was also feeling like he was sitting really low. I remember telling Patrick that I was afraid that I was crushing his head when I tried to go up stairs. Also, when Owen would get the hiccups, I could feel them in my tailbone.

Shower with Patricks family... 35 weeks!
Week 36
I had a doctors visit the day that I changed to 36 weeks. Owen was still measuring big (about 39 weeks at this point) and I was starting to get concerned. I had no interest in delivering a 10 pound baby. My doctor assured me that everything would be okay. She said that, worst case scenario and if I was still pregnant at 38 weeks, she would scan me for fluid and growth. If he still looked big at that point then she would induce because she was certain that my cervix would be what they call "favorable". She then added, "but I don't think you'll make it to 38 weeks." I left the appointment that day really worried that Owen was going to be huge. I told myself that I was going to start walking at least 30 minutes every day to see if I could get things stirred up. I didn't have to wait very long... Two days later, I was in labor.

36 weeks and 2 days... taken before leaving for the hospital
Pregnancy Stats:
Length of pregnancy: 36 weeks and 2 days

Weight gain: 25 pounds

Chief complaint: Contractions

Secondary complaints: Probably heartburn

Main food craving: Does chocolate milk count? I had a glass every morning and then sometimes more later in the day.

Main food aversion: I'm really not sure... sometimes chicken sounded terrible.

Annoying pregnancy symptom: my linea nigra... hope it fades quick!

Stretch marks?: Unfortunately, I managed to find one about a week after delivery. I'll take it though. One isn't anything to freak out over. I've seen way worse.

Last meal before going into labor: I'm pretty sure I skipped out on real dinner and ate popcorn that night and then fell asleep on the couch. Patrick woke me up at some point and I moved to the bed.

Last minute nesting: Patrick put the carseat bases in the car the night that my water broke! He thought I was being ridiculous because I wanted to figure out exactly how they worked and double check that they were level. Apparently, something in me knew it was time to get things ready.

Length of labor: If you count from the time my water broke, it was a little over 14 hours. If you count from the time I actually started painfully contracting, it was about 7 hours.

Well, I think that about covers it (or what I remember at this point). I'll probably post the "birth story" at some point but it may take a while. Right now I'm adjusting to this new, exciting, and slightly exhausting role of mommy. It's been a little crazy at times, but I've been amazed at God's provision and blessing. All that waking up in the middle of the night to answer nature's call must have prepared me somehow for middle of the night feedings, diaper, and sometimes outfit changes. It's all worth it though. I'm blown away by the amount of love I have for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment