Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 27, 28, and 29 weeks

I've fallen way behind on this and I feel like so much has happened. I'm going to try my best to fill in the past few weeks and not skip over any details.

Week 27
This was the week following my trip to the maternal evaluation unit for preterm contractions. I had been instructed to take it easy for a few days and see my doctor for a follow up visit on Friday (my change day to make me officially 27 weeks). I worked that Monday and Tuesday without too much difficulty from what I can remember now. During my off days, I mainly focused my energy on sitting, eating, and drinking. However, I still would have contractions but never as frequent as they had been the afternoon that I went to the hospital.

During my visit Friday, my doctor prescribed procardia to hopefully help ease the amount of contractions that I was having during the day. She told me that I may not even need to take it on my off days, but that I may find it helpful to take on the days that I'm working. The side effects of the medicine kind of freaked me out though and so I was slow to start taking it. I got the prescription filled that Friday, but decided to put the meds in my work bag so that I'd have them if I needed them that weekend while I worked.

Week 28
I got busted. My doctor just happened to be scheduled to work that weekend and she asked me if I'd even gotten the prescription filled (she must have sensed my hesitation with it). I was nervous about how the medicine would make me feel. Also, I was wondering if I really even needed it since the contractions don't hurt. She encouraged me to take the medicine and not come up to the hospital and "spit out a 29 weeker." So I took the medicine for the first time Saturday night before leaving from work.

Now I have a picture to update you on the size of my abdomen as of that Sunday morning. I think baby is growing!

27 weeks and 2 days, taken before I left for work.
After working Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I was exhausted to say the least. I will also add that this is when I started to notice my energy level drop just a bit. I thought it was just from working 4 in a row, but as I look back on it now, this week began a steady decline. It was around 28-29 weeks that I realized I move slower... and I kind of waddle sometimes. Embarrassing but true.

Size of baby:
Baby is now the size of an eggplant! At anywhere from 1.5-2.2 pounds and 13.6 to 14.8 inches long. We also got to go to Dalton and visit the family which means that I have some pictures of the little guy.

28 weeks, profile shot with hand by his face.
Best shot we could get of his face.
Apparently, he's measuring a little over 3 pounds. I was shocked to see that he looked like he has some fat on him. His right kidney still looks all better with the left one still looking about the same as it did during my previous ultrasounds. My cervix also looked good. We enjoyed getting to see him moving around in there. He spent most of his time rubbing his hands over his face.

29 Weeks
This was a busy, busy week. I worked Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday my mom came in town to help me finally make some progress on the nursery. She has a way of getting me to make decisions and we got a lot done. Wednesday night I had my first baby shower. Thursday I worked to recover from all of the activity. Of course, Friday I went to work exhausted, started contracting, saw my doctor who checked me, and got sent home from work. I'll get into those details more in a minute. Lets go over some fun stuff first.

Size of baby:
Baby is now the size of an acorn squash. I wasn't really familiar with what that looked like until I saw the picture so for those of you who might be wondering the same, here you can see a picture.

Apparently, an acorn squash is about 2.5-3.8 pounds and 15.2 to 16.7 inches long. It sounds to me like this is more along the lines of how our baby measured last week. I think we were 3.3lbs and around 16 inches then.

Size of me:
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of myself. I should be able to upload one later from the shower we had on Wednesday. So check back because I hope to get a hold of one. I'm up almost 16 pounds now which shocked me because I think I gained almost 2 pounds in a week. I think baby had another growth spurt.

Pregnancy symptoms:
My stomach has been so itchy lately even though I put lotion on every morning, sometimes a second time during the day, and bio oil at night. So far no stretch marks though. We'll see if that lasts. I also noticed a sad symptom this week- vericose veins. I think the procardia is partially to blame. I've noticed that after I take it my legs, feet, and sometimes by cheeks look really red. It vasodilates everything. I'm hanging in there though. It's way better than having a premature baby so I'll do whatever it takes.

On Wednesday I completed the following: ordered a crib (set to arrive sometime the first week of November), a glider (about 4-6 weeks), a dresser (we can pick up any time since it was the floor sample), purchased curtain panels, and found a cute quilt that matches the bedding Patrick and I picked out.

Highlight from the week:
My first baby shower which was thrown by friends from work was Wednesday night. It was incredible. I was truly overwhelmed by their generosity, love, and support. I almost cried when I sat down to start opening gifts! I work with some pretty awesome people. I will also add that many of them have been looking out for me at work. I can't tell you how many times I'm told to sit down while I'm at work. They want to help keep this little guy in too!

Low point from the week:
Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Friday was a bust. We were extremely busy at work, short staffed, and I started contracting. I knew that I'd been feeling some and finally decided to start writing down the times. I had 8 contractions in an hour and was completely torn over what to do. I knew that I needed to do something, but I didn't want to leave my coworkers in a bind. However, motherly instincts kicked in and I realized what was most important and at that moment it wasn't work.

I went upstairs to see my doctor (yes, a nice perk of delivering where you work), she checked me and kind of made a face (like one of those eyebrows raised in surprise type of faces). My heart sank as I said, "Tell me I'm closed." She said, "You're closed, but you are 50% effaced." I felt better, but was still wondering what the face had been for. She then went on to describe that my cervix felt labored, she could tell that I was contracting, and she thought maybe I should take some time off from work.

It wasn't that she thought I was going to deliver, but she talked about the importance of staying ahead of the game and that less contractions is better. Obviously, I have more contractions at work and so she said she would rather me be at home having 2-4 and hour than at work having 8-12 an hour. I still wasn't really happy with this plan. I don't want to take any time off before delivery. I want my full 12 weeks with this little boy after he comes into the world. I started crying.

Eventually, we came up with a different plan. I would leave work that day, stay restful during the weekend, take my medicine, and if everything stayed calm, then I could try to work Monday and Tuesday. However, I was instructed to call in sick Monday if I continued to have too many and then let her know so that she could fill out the necessary paperwork for me to be off for a few weeks.

I went home, took my medicine, and slept. The contractions slowed once I got in the bed and I had a pretty good weekend. This concluded week 29 of my pregnancy. I'll pick back up with this little journal in another post because this one is way long and I'm sick of writing it and if you are still reading, then I'm impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment