Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 20 Weeks

So I'm a little late with this post given that I'll actually be 21 weeks on Friday. Oops... I'm also a failure because I have no bump picture to show off this week. However, I do have something way better!

19 weeks and 6 days.
 and I'm totally just stalling on you. Actually, the fun news is that...

It's a BOY!!!


and another "toilet shot" as they call it.



Patrick returned home on Monday night which was so great. I'm glad to have him home for a while. Then Thursday we got to have a little visit with the "man child" as Patrick has now decided to call it. I guess we need to come up with a name quick!

As my doctor put it, all of the important things checked out great on our little man. He was in the 53rd percentile for growth, had a heart rate in the 150's, and grew out appropriately for his gestational age. They are going to do another ultrasound at my next visit to take another look at his kidneys though. It's nothing terribly concerning. He had something they call pelviectasis. I think the other name for it is hydronephrosis. It's just a few fancy words for some extra fluid in our little guys kidneys. Apparently it is a pretty common finding in little boys and I've spoken with one doctor who said she would guess that she sees it in about 10 percent of pregnancies. Even if this little issue were to stick around until delivery (which they think it won't), the only thing it would mean is a renal ultrasound after birth and close monitoring for urinary tract infections.

Every day this pregnancy seems to get a little more real. As his kicks get stronger and stronger and as I get bigger and bigger, reality is starting to set in. We really haven't starting making any preparations for this little guy except for the fact that I did a little cleaning while Patrick was in Belize. It's hard to believe that I'm halfway through this thing. My guess is that in a few weeks (once summer ends) we will start getting a little more serious about everything.

One funny moment from the week was when I decided to organize all of the ultrasounds that I've had during this pregnancy. It's a little excessive. He's probably the most photographed child in utero. However, I will say that the long strip (3rd column) is all because of my dad. He had a little bit of fun looking at his grandchild. I think that strip is about as tall as I am.



Well, I think this update is long enough. It's a little outside of my traditional weekly update, but it will have to do. For those of you who are crazy about the fruit thing though... Baby was reported to be the size of a banana this week. Now to me a mango seems bigger than a banana but whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment