Friday, June 15, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 9 Weeks

May 12, 2012

I can hardly believe we're a few weeks shy of finishing the dreaded first trimester. I must say (and I realize that it's still early) that it hasn't been as bad as I'd thought it would be. I guess I've just heard horror stories from people. I think it is rare for women to make it through the first trimester with few complaints and the people that do must not talk about it.

Size of baby this week:
Baby is now the size of a grape, nearly an inch long, and qualifies as a fetus instead of an embryo. All the organs are in place, the heart has divided into four chambers, and teeth are forming within the gum line. Because everything is now in place, our little one is ready for rapid weight gain and a little fine tuning.

Big news this week: I got to see our little one moving around on ultrasound! I'm actually playing catch up right now. I started writing this post on May 12, but it's now May 16th and I'm finishing. Monday, I managed to steal away a few precious moments to look at our little grape. At first I was just amazed at the size difference a week makes and then baby moved! It startled me and made me laugh. Then I realized that if I jiggled my lower abdomen, baby would kick around even more. It was awesome. I wanted to sit there and watch for hours, but I had to work. Here's a picture I took. It's a profile of the head and chest and the legs and feet are curled up at the far right. It was pretty funny because it was like the baby was kicking off the side of my uterus to move.

ultrasound at 9 weeks and 3 days

Pregnancy symptoms:
I've felt pretty good this week. The "girls" are still tender, but not terrible. I still like taking naps on my days off and my work days can get a little tough in the afternoons. I've found that a little afternoon caffeine helps.

Cravings:
I'm still not having any major cravings. I like easily digestible foods though, which means that meat and I are still not getting along very well. I'm doing my best to push through and consume a little every day.

Biggest concern:
My concerns have been fading all week. I think the further I get into this thing, the more relaxed I'm becoming about it. Each day that I get to steal a few moments to peek at our little one at work seem to ease my mind as well. If I weren't a labor and delivery nurse I'm sure a lot of my early worries wouldn't have happened at all. I guess it comes with the job, though. It's not uncommon where I work for people to wait to tell their news until well into their second trimester.

Diet/exercise adjustments:
I'm working on finding healthy food options that will taste good to me. My body wants carbs a lot more now than ever before so I'm trying to make them whole grain. This week I've stocked up on yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, tomato soup, and eggs. Isn't that the strangest combination? However, it all sounds good to me so it's on the menu for the week. I've been doing zumba on my days off and I'm starting to tell a difference in my ability to finish the workouts well. When I first started back it didn't take long for me to be completely out of breath. I'm hoping to add in some yoga this week because I think it would be good to add some more strength training. Plus, deep breathing is good stress relief.

Best moment from the week:
My sweet husband came in tonight carrying a long pillow. I looked up and said, "What's that?" He responded, "I hope you didn't think I was going to ignore your first mothers day." It was a pregnancy body pillow. Is he not the sweetest? I don't know how or why God decided to bless me with such a wonderful man. I can't imagine going through this whole process with anyone else by my side. He's been so encouraging throughout the past few weeks while my energy levels have been down and I've slacked on house chores. He's been picking up my slack and not complained a single time. Seriously, I couldn't tell you the last time I cooked for him and if he's bothered by it, he's not showing it.

I guess I should also add that Sunday morning he came in the bathroom while I was getting ready for church and said, "You might want to go down to the kitchen." I started asking him questions but he refused to answer a single one. So I finally went down there to find a brand new programmable crock pot with the locking lid complete with a bow on top. I'm so emotional and/or hormonal that I cried. Our crock pot broke a few months ago and I'd been saying that I wanted to replace it with one that has the locking lid since I've taken ours to work several times for work parties. Boy, I never would have thought I'd shed tears over a crock pot!

Most looking forward to:
We are telling his parents this coming weekend. Patrick invited them to dinner Saturday night. I'm excited to hear/see their reaction. Then it's just one more week until we get to share the news with my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment