Friday, June 8, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 6 Weeks

Saturday, April 14th

Can't believe this week marks the halfway point in the first trimester. I guess these first few weeks feel like they fly by because you typically find out you're pregnant when you are already about 4-5 weeks along. I have felt pretty good this week with few complaints. I keep waiting for the dreaded nausea to kick in and I am praying that it doesn't start while I'm in Las Vegas. Maybe I will be part of that small percentage of women who don't get that symptom. Wouldn't that be great? I won't hold my breath though.

Size of Baby:
According to The Bump, baby is now the size of a sweet pea. Cute, huh? My little pea is about .25 inches and is beginning to form facial features like eyes, ears, mouth, and nose (singing head shoulders knees and toes now..) Baby now has a heartbeat and circulatory system that is developing more every day. Paddle-like arms and legs are emerging. I'm not gonna lie, it freaks me out a little to think that pretty soon there will be a little being inside of me moving around. It's like a little alien. Organs are continuing to develop and that placenta I mentioned last week is expanding as well.

Pregnancy Symptoms:
The cramping that I mentioned last week  continued until about Wednesday when it finally eased up a little. I still get the occasional cramp, but it's not nearly as bad. I had been taking extra strength Tylenol every six hours around the clock. It really was around the clock because of my other pregnancy symptom that came in to replace the first- urinary frequency. I don't really notice the symptom during the day because I've always enjoyed drinking my water, but I really notice it when I have to wake up in the middle of the night. Every night, somewhere between 2 and 3am, I wake up to nature's call. The breast tenderness isn't bad, but it's definitely there as well as the fatigue. I do pretty well at the start of my day but I have started to notice that my body is begging me to slow down around 5pm and it wants bed at like 8pm.

Cravings:
I can't say that I have any real cravings right now. I have really been enjoying strawberries but it's not a must-have-them-now type of thing.

Biggest Concern:
When I woke up Wednesday morning and realized that I wasn't cramping (something I'd grown accustomed to) I had a moment where I thought, "Well, I guess that was it." It sounds callous, I know... I also know that I'm crazy, but you have to realize what I do every day. I cared for two intrauterine fetal deaths this week (when the baby dies prior to delivery). Last week I assisted a doctor as he delivered an 11 week fetus. I am around this kind of thing every week and it's a sobering reminder that sometimes things don't go the way you plan. It's heartbreaking. We live in a fallen and broken world that is not as it was meant to be.

In a way, I think writing these posts is therapeutic because it forces me to think about this little being growing inside of me. It also has me down on my knees in prayer asking God for his protection. By writing these thoughts down, I feel like I am fighting to keep faith.

Boy or Girl:
According to the Chinese birth chart we are having a girl.

Placenta Brain:
I've gone to Target twice now for one item only and come home with many other things except that one item that I intended to get.

Diet adjustments:
Besides declining my Thursday night margarita, I haven't had to make many other diet adjustments. I have limited my coffee intake to just once a day, which I still think is fine. If my doctor tells me otherwise in a couple of weeks, then I'll stop. I'm also starting to learn that certain types of cheese are off-limits as well. Oh, and cold deli meat. I vaguely remember learning about non-pasteurized products in my OB class during nursing school, but had kind of forgotten. While I was sitting at dinner last night I was reminded when my pregnant coworker who was sitting across from me mentioned that her wedge salad didn't have Gorgonzola. Oops. There I was with a half eaten salad in front of me and I had pretty much made sure that every bite had cheese on it. Sorry baby! I'll work on that one.

Best moment this week:
Patrick has been reading to me from "What to expect when you're expecting" and I love it. I love that we are in this thing together. It is crazy to me how much closer I feel to him already. Oh, he also bought me flowers this week as a congratulations. Let me tell you, I'm in love with that man. 

Most looking forward to:
I'd say that I'm starting to look forward to that OB appointment. I think that it will feel more real when I actually see this baby on ultrasound. I know it will look more like a gummy bear than a baby, but just to know that there is something there will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment