Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 5 weeks

Friday, April 6th.

As of today, I am 5 weeks pregnant. I've now known for two whole days. In this time, I've researched my due date (which I'm pretty sure will be anywhere between Dec 7th and Dec 11th), read from several sites about what is going on inside of my little uterus right now, surprised Patrick with the news, added a couple of pregnancy apps to my phone, researched cramping in early pregnancy (my #1 symptom right now), and made an appointment for April 26th (the day before I turn 8 weeks). We should see a heartbeat by then and I'm going to have to deal with being tempted to blab the news to my family that weekend when I'm in town for my brother's high school play. Our current plan is to share the news with Patrick's parents the weekend of the 18th of May and then my family the weekend of the 25th (around 12 weeks). After that, anyone is fair game. We'll just have to see how that pans out though. I understand that plans can be changed.
I really want to document this process well so I hope to complete weekly updates. I guess now is as good a time as any to start.

First belly picture:
aka: The most awkward picture I've ever taken. I felt really stupid having Patrick snap this picture and our laughing didn't make it any easier. It felt silly to both of us. However, I know that I'm going to want to track this so I pushed through the awkwardness of it.

5 weeks, first belly shot

 

Size of baby:
According to the bump our little one has now graduated from poppy seed size to apple seed sized. That is 0.13 inches. Apparently, his or her little organs are already beginning to form. Oh, and did I mention that I now have a placenta? It's not finished developing, but it's there. Freaky...

Pregnancy Symptoms:
Well, I guess at this point my two symptoms would be cramping and a late monthly visitor. Also, in the last couple of days I've noticed the "girls" being a little more sensitive. I'm definitely most dreading the morning sickness and I pray that I don't get it bad. If I do, I just can't imagine how I'm going to keep this thing under wraps.

Cravings:
A few nights ago when I was in a bad mood I made Patrick take me to publix so that he (that's right, not me) could run inside and buy me a cookie (I married a good one). I thought it was because of the time of the month we were approaching. Patrick even said as he was getting out of the car, "It's like I have a pregnant wife or something." Now we know that he did and we joke that it was my first pregnancy craving. Other than that night, nothing really stands out just yet.

Biggest concern:
Due to the amount of cramping I've had I would say that the dreaded "M" word concerns me the most. I also know that most women have one at some point in their lifetime. I look at women's parities all the time and know that to be true. I'm just having to put my faith in God and trust the perfection of his plan. My research into the subject has also reassured me.

Boy or Girl:
I used to say that I really wanted to have a boy first. Then in the past year I have found myself saying things like, "I'll be fine if all I have is a house full of boys." It's funny. Now that I'm pregnant, I really don't care.

You might be pregnancy if:
I've heard of people talk about pregnant women getting "placenta brain". Basically, they say you do stupid stuff when you're pregnant. Now, I do stupid stuff anyway so who knows if it's really true, but I thought it would be funny to report some of these moments.
  • You might be pregnant if you get in the shower and wash your hair with shower gel.
  • You might be pregnant if you start a 24 hour urine (where urine gets collected in a jug for 24 hours for testing) and then flush 500 mL of urine down the toilet three hours later. [This one really frustrated me because I've never done that before. Luckily, we were only three hours in so it wasn't completely horrible to start the process over and my patient wasn't mad.]
Diet Adjustments: 
So far, there hasn't been any major changes to my diet. I'm actually not completely giving up my morning coffee. I feel that one cup a day is not going overboard. Plus, the jury is still out on how much is too much and if it really causes harm. I've never been one to drink a lot of soft drinks. I'm more of a water girl so that isn't really a big deal either. Prior to finding out the news I was actually in the process of losing a little extra weight. I've managed to drop about 8-10 pounds since Christmas. Now I am having to readjust my brain to quit restricting quite so much. I don't plan on "eating for two" because I know that's not really how it works, but I do understand that this baby and my body needs me to eat well and eat enough calories.

Best moment of the week:
Telling Patrick the news! He was totally shocked. I'll never forget that moment for as long as I live. It's also been fun to have our little big secret all to ourselves.

I may add and/or take away from this list of things in the coming weeks and I'm not even entirely sure that I'll remember to document my growing midsection. I'd like to try though. It's funny writing this though because I don't feel pregnant and it definitely doesn't feel real. It probably won't for a while. Maybe when I actually have a baby bump to show off? We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading all of these posts! It makes my heart smile knowing that you and I will become mommies this year! I can't wait to watch you grow...it is an amazing miracle. If you need anything, I am just a phone call away. And if you need another hormonal pregnant woman to lend a listening ear, I am here for ya! And I will understand :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete