Friday, June 29, 2012

Pregnancy Journal: 16 weeks

Friday, June 29th- I'm finally caught up to real time now!!!

Four months down! It's getting kind of real. I'm feeling better and more motivated to get things done around here. So maybe little projects will be popping back up here and there. I successfully made it through my 4 shifts at work and I'm happy to have Patrick back home for a few days. It's going to be short-lived though. He's off again on Sunday for a mission trip to New Orleans with our senior high. I'm thankful for how our schedules have worked out this summer though. Luckily, I tend to work when he is out of town and have time off when he is in town. It's making this summer much more manageable. Now, I realize we have a lot ahead of us, but I'm hopeful.

Size of baby:
Baby is now the size of an avocado. Hmm... guacamole anyone? It's about 4.6 inches long and 3.5 ounces. Apparently it can hear us talk to it too! The hair is growing and he or she is developing taste buds. I have the creepiest picture to show you of our little one. It's a shot of it's face! I only say that its creepy because it looks like a skeleton.

15 weeks and 2 days and looking right at us.

Size of me:
We have a belly picture this week! I finally have a little bump going. To people that don't know I'm pregnant, it wouldn't be obvious, but it's there. I will confess that this picture was taken late at night (I have more of a pooch then) and it was taken after a meal of Mexican food. So I guess it is part food baby and part real baby but whatever. We're going with it!

Thanks, Laurie for showing me how to properly hold my abdomen!
I think the boob growth helps camouflage the belly growth.
I'm now up 4 pounds on our home scale so I think this little one is starting to pack on the lbs. Someone at work said that I should expect to be up 10 pounds by 20 weeks. I was a little shocked, but we'll see I guess. I'm doing pretty good I think about not stressing over the weight gain anymore. I've accepted that it is part of pregnancy and that the weight will come on its own without me trying to manipulate it. I'm just trying to ensure that my calories come from good sources. Well, except for our weekly Mexican food night- I splurge then!

Pregnancy symptoms:
I'm doing better with the heartburn. I think it was all about determining the triggers (mio, large amounts of water late in the evening, and/or large amounts of water with a meal) and avoiding it. The most freaky symptom I've experienced occurred this morning and I'll warn you, it has to do with breastmilk. It was only a drop, but it was there. Even though I know it is normal, it shocked me. Talk about a dose of reality! My body really is rapidly preparing for the arrival of a baby.

Cravings/aversions:
I'm eating pretty normal and having to make a point to do some planning and shopping before Patrick leaves town. During the school year Patrick usually cooks dinner on the nights that I work. I've learned that I have to have a clear meal plan for each day that he is away. Otherwise the Arby's across the street from the hospital is pretty tempting when I'm starving and leaving work at 8:00pm.

Boy or girl?
Pretty much everyone I meet tells me they think it's a boy. I even had a patient this week that told me I was having a boy. I asked her why and she said that it's because you carry boys low, which I am and that boys give you shape. It cracked me up to have a patient notice the size of my chest! She went on to explain that boys make you pretty and girls steal your beauty. I thought her assessment was interesting. She also asked me if I craved fruit or ice cream. I looked at her and said, "I'd rather eat fruit." and she said, "It's a boy then."  

Interesting moment from the week:
Well, our air conditioning went out on Wednesday and that was frustrating to say the least. We are in the middle of a heat wave and I was just praying (literally, multiple times a day) that God would get someone from our homeowners insurance to our house quickly and that they would just replace the darn thing. It broke last summer but they repaired it. Also, it's 15 years old. God does answer even what seems to be the most trivial of prayers though.

I put the request in Wednesday morning with our insurance and they called me within a couple of hours to schedule an appointment for the very next day (that has never happened). Then the unit actually went out a few hours after we had our appointment scheduled. My next prayer was that the guy would arrive early not late (our appointment was anywhere between 8am and 1pm). Well, the guy called us at 9:00 the next day to say that he was about 45 minutes away. While I did thank God for the answered prayer, I was still praying that the man would just have to replace it, but that didn't happen. He was able to fix it though, so I was pleased. However, the crazy thing was what Patrick told me when he came in from talking with the guy. Apparently, the repairman said he had no idea how we got a spot so quickly. He said that due to the heat wave, they are booked for the next week.

I could've cried. In fact, I'm teary eyed right now. The whole thing was a sweet reminder of how God cares for me. I had spent so much time the day before worrying- not just about the AC unit, but about finances and home repairs in general. Seriously, just ask Patrick. It's amazing how the very next day God gently reminded me of his provision. It had me thinking about Matthew 6 where Jesus teaches about worry. It never ceases to amaze me that the creator of the universe would not only choose to save me, but he goes so much further as to look after me in such small ways. He loves me enough to take care of an AC unit and you can't convince me otherwise.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"- Matthew 6:26

Most excited about:
Spending the next couple of days with my sweet husband. We got to hang out a lot yesterday too. We've learned over the past few years to take advantage of our time off especially in the summer months. It's good to reconnect and have some fun together. Our afternoon date yesterday was to steel city pops.


No comments:

Post a Comment