Friday, April 6, 2012

Garden update

A couple of weeks ago I started working on the garden (yes, I'm a little behind with my blogging). I thought I'd post a few updates. This will be our third year having a vegetable/herb garden and I'm really excited about what's going on this year. Let me begin by showing you what the garden looked like after sitting out in the elements without tending too all winter long.




I got things started with a little cleanup. I then prepped the area with some garden dust (there are many types out there on the market). I'm pretty sure the brand I used is called seven dust. The idea is to kill bugs and ants and deter them from hanging around in the garden. Here is what I had once that was complete.




A week later Patrick and I went to Lowe's for some soil, flowers, veggies, herbs, and mulch (lots of mulch). We've been taming the jungles that have developed in the large beds on the other side of the house and mulching everything. I'll also add that I developed what I think was my first case of poison ivy. It wasn't so bad, but I've heard that each encounter/reaction is worse than the next so I'll pay a little more attention in the future. Okay, back to the garden. Once the planting was finished we had this.


and this.


and one more picture just for good measure.


In the far left of this picture you can see the home for the new compost bin. Also, I'm going to be adding a second growbox this year. It is here but I haven't put it together because I've been waiting for the corn that's on the kitchen windowsill to get big enough. We are pretty much there now so I guess I need to get on it. Here's the list of what we are growing.

Bell Pepper (only red)
Poblano Pepper
Jalapeno Pepper
Zucchini Squash
Sweet Corn
Watermelon
Onion
Chives
Cilantro
Mint (sweet, apple, and chocolate)
Sweet Basil
Lavender
Rosemary
Sage

The Rosemary, lavender, and some of the mint are not actually growing in the garden area. I ventured out and planted some herbs on the other side of the house. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Hurley won't destroy it all. I'll try to get a picture of that and our newly reclaimed jungles soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment