Friday, November 18, 2011

Dgroup Thanksgiving 2011

Three years ago Patrick and I started a tradition of combining our dgroups for a night to have a Thanksgiving meal. I make the turkey and gravy and the students bring various side dishes. It ends up being a delicious meal. This year was no different except that it was a little bitter sweet for me.


Oh, and not only did I make turkey, but ham as well. That was something new (and yummy).


My girls are now seniors. We find ourselves frequently discussing colleges, acceptance letters, ACT scores, and career choices. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was running around white water with them when they were in seventh grade. How in the world are they about to leave for college in less than a year?! Where did the time go?



It has been a privilege and a joy (and yes, sometimes frustrating) to watch these girls grow in their faith and maturity. The times when I've been frustrated with them are the times that I've learned I need to pray the most (especially for the girl who caused the frustration). I've had to sit back and trust that God is at work even though I may not see it. I've learned to hurt when they hurt (something that, if I'm honest, did not come easily at first). I've also learned how to give "mommy talks" and "mommy looks" as they call it. I feel I have learned so much from walking alongside them the past 6 years.



I guess this is just another lesson in- don't take time for granted. Yes, we have all heard that one and I am so guilty.


Since you can't chew on that deliciousness, chew on this... Take advantage of your time today. This is the time of year that we focus on being thankful, right? Well, show the people around you that you are thankful for them by giving them your time. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. not gonna lie.. I cried reading this! Cannot believe it is almost time for them to graduate..

    ReplyDelete