Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Last night I made laundry detergent using three simple ingredients: shaved bar soap, borax, and washing soda. After considering both options, I decided to go with powder instead of liquid detergent. I just didn't want to mess with boiling water or obtaining a two gallon bucket. Here are the very simple ingredients and steps.

The ingredients:

Bar soap, Borax, and Washing Powder. That's it folks!

The Steps:

1 bar of shaved bar soap. I used Fels-Naptha which is sold as laundry bar soap for $0.99

Yep, you get to shave it yourself! The only time consuming part.

 1 cup of borax. I purchased 20 Mule Teams 76 oz box for $3.99

It's a little messy when it decides to come out in clumps.

 1 cup of washing soda. I purchased a 55 oz box of Arm and Hammer washing soda for $2.50


It came out much more easily.

 Now take your ingredients either stir for five minutes or process until well blended.



Prior to processing.
After processing. Ready for use!


You only need to add 1 tablespoon for each load of laundry. If it is heavily soiled then you can use 2 tablespoons. This batch that I made yielded 3 cups which will give me approximately 48 loads of laundry. I did spend $7.48 on my supplies, but keep in mind that I have plenty of borax and washing soda left so I can make more. All I will have to do is purchase more bar soap.



I should be able to make 7 batches with the supplies that I have. So for approximately $13.42 (this is when I added the cost for more bar soap) I will be able to do 336 loads of laundry. It ends up being about $0.04 per load. Even though this is rough (and I mean rough) math, it's a pretty good deal.

I just can't get over how easy this was to make. It took me about 5 or 10 minutes. I'll definitely do it again. Now, will it clean? I have several friends who have used this method and say that it does. Keep in mind that it will not sud as much as store bought detergent, but it is still cleaning. Oh, and if you're wondering where to find all of these random supplies, I purchased all of mine on the cleaning isle at Publix.

No comments:

Post a Comment