It actually took a lot more thinking than I thought it would mainly because I decided to come up with 25 things. I know it is super cheesy but maybe it will inspire you to do the same. We only get to live life once, right?
1. Take a road-trip. I've never done it before. I've dreamed of traveling across the country stopping wherever me and my roadies please and yes, I realize that it wouldn't in actuality be as glamorous as it sounds. I've gone so far as to plan an actual trip to the Grand Canyon with a friend that was supposed to take place during one of our college spring breaks. It got canceled. Maybe I can revisit those plans.
2. Visit a museum. I know this may sound bizarre, but I think I need more culture and education in my life. Personal enrichment is important. I'm not particular on what kind of museum it is, but it should be one that I haven't visited before.
3. Dance every day. I love to dance. I miss dance. Why shouldn't I dance every day? Spontaneous dancing in the kitchen counts. Pique turns and cardio hip hop in my living room are acceptable as well. Confession: I purchased Zumba as a birthday gift to myself. Should be arriving at the church any day now (couldn't have the bear eating my present).
4. Read 12 books. I need some type of goal to push me to read. I figure a book a month is a good goal. I may be able to knock out a couple this month since we'll be going to the beach for a little R&R.
5. Skinny dip. I've done this before when I was younger and I remember thinking it was fun/terrifying because I didn't want to get caught. There is something so liberating about swimming naked. I realize that this could be a difficult one to accomplish now that I no longer have a pool in my backyard, but I am up for a challenge.
6. Pick up a new sport/hobby. This really could be anything and at this point I have no clue what to pick, but I'm sure something will pop up.
7. Go camping. I haven't been camping in what feels like forever. I also have all this gear that is begging to be put to good use. It doesn't even have to be backpacking (which I would love). Car camping will suffice.
8. Sleep under the stars. I don't even have to be camping to accomplish this one. I mean, I guess I could sleep on my back deck but the star gazing just isn't quite as nice with city lights interfering. However, it wouldn't surprise me if it occurs when I go camping. It would make a lot of sense to kill two birds with one stone.
9. Go on a wine-tasting tour. I am kind of cheating on this one because I know for a fact that I will be going to Napa, CA in September for a conference. I made a phone call Friday to reserve a spot for a tour of 4 different wineries.
10. Learn new recipes. Now when I say "learn", that is what I mean. I want to know them by heart and love them. They must be new, meaning that I have never made the food prior to today. Should be interesting. I hope Patrick is ready. This is right up his alley.
11. Skydive or bungee jump. I'm probably more likely to bungee jump, but we'll see what happens. Don't worry mom, I won't call to tell you when I do it. I won't even tell you once it's been accomplished. You just go on pretending your precious daughter has her feet planted on solid ground.
12. Spend an entire day in bed. Patrick is welcome to join me, but no, I don't mean that kind of day in bed. Although, I'm not opposed to the idea. Being sick does not count on this one either. I want to stay in my PJ's all day, drink my coffee propped up on a pillow, watch movies, do sudoku puzzles, eat, and pretend like there is nothing else in the world I need to be doing.
13. Go on a long hike. I guess thinking about spending a day in bed made my brain long for some activity. I like hiking and I really love long hikes that take you miles from your car and deep into the woods where you can hear yourself think. Distractions fade, your lungs fill with fresh air, and it just feels great.
14. Visit the Birmingham Zoo. I have now been living in Birmingham for approximately 7 years and I've never been. This should change, I think.
15. Have a picnic lunch. Doesn't this just sound lovely? I'm already planning the menu in my head. Definitely need to wait for the outside temps to cool off a bit though.
16. Snowboard. I haven't snowboarded in years. I probably will have to work on it for a day before it comes back to me, but I'd like to ride down a mountain again.
17. Go rock climbing. I miss beating some rocks. I haven't been bouldering or route climbing in about 4 years. It's hard to believe that I used to hit up boulder fields 3-4 times a week my Freshman year at Samford. I also remember hitting up Foster Falls, Sandrock, and Horse Pens 40. Oh, to have that kind of time again!
18. Ride a roller coaster. This shouldn't be hard to accomplish. There is just something about roller coasters that puts a crazy smile on your face.
19. Work on my Spanish. I really need to work on learning to speak Spanish. It would help me so much at work.
20. Visit the Coca-Cola factory. I remember when I was little and visiting the Coca-Cola factory was so cool. Somehow, I missed out on the adventure. I remember several of my friends talking about how awesome it was to try the different types of cokes. I always thought, 'no big deal, I'm sure I'll visit sometime when I'm in the area'. Well, I've been in the area a ton and never gone. I guess it is time for me to make a point of it.
21. Surprise Patrick with something nice. I love my husband. He deserves a nice surprise. Now I might have made my job harder given that he's going to read this, but I'm pretty sneaky.
22. Get a massage. I really need to call and get this one taken care of this week. It will be a little treat to myself.
23. Learn to drive a manual. This one should be fun and frustrating. Any willing and able volunteers out there? Oh yeah, I need to learn on your car too... Also, I haven't got a clue how it's done. It's not rocket science though.
24. Finally watch Dumb and Dumber. Don't say it...I KNOW! I promise I am an American. And yes, I've been informed that I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't seen it and yes I've been missing out on all the jokes that pop up in conversations. Patrick is always having to jump in and say, "oh, she doesn't get it because she hasn't seen the movie." Then I get to hear the lecture of how I need to watch the movie all over again.
25. Partake in the ever popular BYOB and painting experience. I don't have a clue where I'd put the painting or if I'd even want to keep it, but it could be fun. Painting was never something I showed much talent in during art classes. My teacher just kind of looked at me with sad yet knowing eyes. She saw my pain. Maybe it didn't turn out right because there was no wine in my hand. Perhaps that is the answer!
Well, there you have it. My 25 things to do while I'm 25. That is, if you are still reading my random posting. Now get out there and make some of your own fun plans for the year.