Saturday, July 9, 2011

Painting Paneling

July Project

This month's project was pretty random. I was sitting at work on Tuesday talking with some coworkers when it hit me. I was inspired by those young house love kiddos that recently transformed their kitchen by painting the paneling. After that my mind was made up. I decided to paint the paneling in our laundry room. And true to form, Patrick was out of town when this whole adventure went down. 

Let's start at the beginning shall we? On Wednesday morning our laundry room was looking pretty drab. It was also stuffed full of a few things that were pretty random. A medicine ball? Really?


I might also mention that this was probably my way of reclaiming the space after our little rodent friend made his appearance. It just felt dirty after that even though I knew that he was gone. It needed to be freshened up a bit.


So here was the course of attack. First I cleared out the entire space of everything that was easily movable. This unfortunately did not include the washer and dryer which I disconnected and pulled into the middle of the space. It was definitely a pain working around them, but remember, it was just little me here. 

After clearing the space I taped off the ceiling, floor, and window trim with painters tape. Don't underestimate this step. It is totally worth the effort. Okay... Next I was off to Lowes to purchase some paint. I bought a gallon of Kilz (I went with their latex kind for easy cleanup) and then I picked out a paint swatch that I thought looked pretty. It ended up being Valspars woodlawn silver brook in a satin finish. Then it was time to get painting.


This was after the first coat of primer went up on the walls. Now I will confess that I did not clean the surface of the wood with TSP nor did I lightly sand the walls to help with adhesion. I am totally trusting my Kilz. I did, however, decide to apply two coats of primer.


You may not even be able to tell the difference between the two photos but the one above was taken after the second coat of primer. You may also notice that I primed the window trim and then you might be wondering how late it is because it is dark outside. Well, I get in the zone and feel like I can work until the sun comes up. I didn't do that though. I forced myself to stop after this picture was taken and save the painting for Thursday. Well, it might have already been Thursday but you know what I mean.

I didn't waste any time on Thursday. The following picture was after one partially dry coat of paint. I ended up going with two coats. I was actually pretty pleased with the color and hoping that Patrick would approve too.


More painting took place...


Looking better... More painting... and rearranging...


Here's a few more angles.




I am glad that it turned out this well. I think our laundry room is much happier now. It's not finished yet, but it is a definite step in the right direction. My plan is to have Patrick's dad help me install a sink next to the washer and then I'd like to put two long shelves above that. My little white shelf from my childhood can then be moved out, or I might repaint it and put it on the wall opposite the washer and dryer. We'll see.

P.S. Patrick loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment