Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Apostles Creed

So you call yourself a Christian. Well Christian, what do you believe? This is a question that our staff has been directing at our Sr. high students all summer. This morning our youth pastor asked our students to take a 3x5 index card and answer that very question. I haven't read their answers but I thought it was an interesting exercise. How many high school students out there today can articulate their faith on such short notice and with such a small amount of space. What would you write?

As I sat there, watching the students write, all I could recite to myself was the Apostles Creed. Now before you get impressed that I know it by heart let me tell you that I have Grace Presbyterian Church in Dalton, GA to thank for this. One summer (I think I was about 14 or 15) the leadership or maybe just our pastor decided that we were going to read the Apostles Creed every Sunday. We might have even read it twice each service. All I really remember is that our pastor made a big deal about it. He made a comment that it[the creed] is something every Christian should commit to memory. Well, I must be honest, I never worked very hard at memorizing it but just because we read it so much that summer I know the creed by heart.

The various teachers who have come by the youthouse this summer have been using the Apostles Creed as a tool to help our students articulate their faith. While the Creed is not something found in Scripture it is based on the teachings found in Scripture. By breaking down each part of the Apostles Creed I hope that our students will strengthen their faith and think more deeply about the supernatural work of God. I am also glad that they are getting the opportunity to have the more puzzling phrases explained.

The creed is a good summation of what we, as Christians, believe. As I prepare to go to Northern Ireland this coming Saturday, I have found it to be an interesting review and reminder to myself of what I hold to be truth. I do believe in absolute truth and that is something that is quickly fading in our society today. People think truth is what you want it to be, that it cannot be pinned down, or that it is different for each individual. Sorry, but I say no- truth is absolute.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, 
the Creator of Heaven and Earth,
and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried:

He descended into hell.

The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended into Heaven,
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. 

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment