Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Road Ahead

Last Wednesday I sat in utter disbelief as I watched this unfold.

The massive tornado that got up to a mile wide in Tuscaloosa.

My brain took a few minutes to process what was happening. It felt like a dream. Even then, I don't think that I or anyone I was with realized how many homes were being destroyed, lives were being lost, and the wake of destruction the storms and tornadoes would leave across the entire state.

You are looking at where a home used to sit.
In the aftermath of the storms, stories of survival and unfortunately, stories of death have started to emerge. When you see pictures of many of these homes it is hard to fathom how anyone made it out alive.

a view of damage near Tuscaloosa.
It is believed that 328 people were killed during the storms and that 236 of those deaths were in Alabama. Tuscaloosa is now reporting that they still have 80 people unaccounted for which is down from the 300 reported towards the end of last week.

Thankfully, they are almost finished with the search, rescue, and recovery portion of the healing process (not that there will ever be complete healing). Cleanup and debris removal has started in areas where they are allowing volunteers. Food, water, and clothing is being provided at various distribution centers that have been set up across the state by faith based groups, state and federal government. From what I hear, the "TIDE" bus (a rolling laundry facility) has arrived in areas for people without power (which is still a lot). We have our hands full and I pray that we can remain strong and steady as we continue the restoration of homes and lives.

Right now, I covet your prayers and I plead for your support. We have a long road ahead of us.

**An easy way to help right now is to text the word REDCROSS to 90999 and a $10 donation will be added to your next cell phone bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment