Sunday, May 15, 2011

Office Revamp

Patrick went to the beach for a week the first week of May and if you know anything about me, then you know that when he leaves I spend money or change something in our home while he is gone (it's usually both actually). Anyway, I know I said that I wasn't going to do any projects, but this just kind of happened... I have a serious problem I think. However, I am so happy with the results.

So here is the before picture of our home office way back when. This was taken the night after closing on the house.


Here is what it looked like in the between stage. We were still painting those &*%$ doors. Our office has looked like this half finished project for about a year and half I would guess.


So the Friday morning of Patrick's return home (late evening return), I decided that I would finish the office. Honestly, it wasn't planned before that morning. I woke up around 7 (I get up early even when I don't work), made some coffee, and ventured to the office to check some e-mail and facebook.

Eight hours later I had this...


My "Welcome Home" message.
So here is how it all went down. As I sat there sipping my coffee I looked around the room and thought, "this is ridiculous... I can finish this." I grabbed a piece of notebook paper and began scribbling out a list of things to buy. I think my list looked something like this.

- curtain rod extender
- bookshelf
- magnetic/dry erase board

Yep, that is all it took. One quick shower and shopping trip later, I was home putting together my new bookshelf from World Market.


It sure beats my dad's old bookshelf that he had during medical school. The whole revamp was simple and I can't believe it took me so long to complete. Of course, rooms and homes are always evolving and I'm already coming up with ways to improve the room, but at least it's more user friendly now. Patrick has actually used the office a few times this past week to work on seminary classes. He has never used it before except to quickly print something off his laptop.

Honestly, that was my goal for this room. I wanted to give us a space that we both could use. In the past, Patrick always felt that it was my space. I'm trying to do a better job of cleaning up when I'm finished in there so that he can walk in and have a tidy workspace when he needs it. I'm also working on finding a comfy chair to put in there. I think that will help a lot since Patrick has tons of reading to do and it's always nice to have a good chair for that. Speaking of chairs, our current desk chair will have to go. It's pretty uncomfortable so I'm going to have to hunt down something different. Other than those few things though, we are pretty much finished with the office.

1 comment: