Saturday, May 28, 2011

Becoming a farmer

It's here and it's working! What you may ask?... My Growbox! You may remember my mentioning that it would be arriving in the mail. You can see that post here. If you don't want to go back and read it that is fine because I'm going to tell you all about it here. Warning: it may be a little more information then you'd like to know. Sorry, it's my blog and I can cry if I do what I want too.

The Growbox is an above ground planting system designed to create the perfect growing environment for pretty much any kind of vegetable, herb, or flower you could ever want to have. Of course, it depends a little on the climate that you live in but as long as it is something commonly grown in your area, then it will work. The kit includes: a nutrient patch (to lay over the soil) that contains a fertilizer strip, the actual Growbox itself, instructions for putting the box together, and tips as well as planting instructions.

My favorite thing about the Growbox is the reservoir and water spout that you use to water the garden. It's awesome. You just add water to the well through the side spout as needed. Water from the built-in well continuously moves upwards towards the roots of the plants because of the two "wicking columns" as I have now called them.


That is my hand pushing the plastic out of the way so that the columns can be filled and packed with soil. Below is a shot taken from above so you can see both columns that I'm talking about. The area below the screen is the reservoir.


Anyway, the Growbox company had some issues this year with their manufacturing plant. In addition to that they had way more orders placed early in the season than usual. These two things coupled together to make my Growbox almost an entire 30 days late... But it is here now:)


Unfortunately it got here and I had to stare at it like this for several days while I worked three 12 hour shifts. Then it rained and I started at it some more. Finally, on a nice off day, Patrick and I ran our favorite home improvement center and purchased the soil and plants. I didn't want my Growbox to feel left behind (because I'd already planted in my other containers 4 weeks earlier) so I went with some good sized peppers and okra.


Here you can see the entire vegetable and herb garden. The Growbox is the orange container in the lower right. It's a happy little garden and it's already been way more successful than last year. Patrick and I have been enjoying fresh basil on anything and everything that fresh basil can go with. Even though it took a little longer than expected, I am finally declaring Aprils' project complete. Of course, it will still need to be looked after, but the planting is over.

Our Garden includes:
- 6 okra
- 2 zucchini
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 bell pepper (yellow, green, and red)
- 3 tomato
- 2 sweet basil
- 1 boxwood basil
- 1 cinnimon basil
- 1 cilantro
- 1 rosemary
- 1 mint
- 1 lavender

Here's some pictures of the progress. This was right after planting.


This was taken last week.


The other side of the garden after planting.


Photo of the same box taken last week from a different angle.


It's funny to post these pictures and compare what you're going to see and what I saw this morning when I was watering. I think the basil has doubled in size since this picture. I am having a lot of fun being a farmer. If you have a garden this year I hope that you're enjoying it as much as I am.

1 comment:

  1. I started a box garden this year too! I planted okra, tomato's, yellow squash and three different peppers. Oh, and two strawberry pots... I treat them like my babies and love watching them grow. Happy harvesting!!!

    ReplyDelete