Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Project

You may remember how I spray painted our dining room light fixture a few months ago. Well, I liked it so much that I decided to try it on our foyer light fixture.

I will start at the beginning...

1) Switch the breaker off and remove the light fixture. For a high ceiling, his requires help, a ladder, and flat head screw driver.


2) Time for some cleaning. It was rather dusty. It's also a good idea to remove the bulbs and fake candle thingys (I don't know what else to call them).


3) Tape off the sockets where the bulbs go. You don't want paint in them.


4) Find a place to hang the light fixture and get ready to paint. I used the same paint as I did with the dining room fixture so that the two would match (rust-o-leum's oil rubbed bronze).


5) Allow the fixture to dry!!! It was a cold day when I was doing this and so I should have allowed more time than the stated 1 hour on the spray can. I removed the fixture from the tree when it was still tacky and ended up having to sand and re-spray the next day over a few places. Don't be impatient like me. It will only come back and bite you in the you-know-what.


6) Re-hang the fixture, turn the breaker on, stand back, and smile.


Once again, this project does not take very much time (as long as you don't have to go back and re-spray).

No comments:

Post a Comment