Sunday, November 21, 2010

Our injured bear

Tuesday night I arrived home from work to a bloodbath in the kitchen floor. Patrick had already informed me that Hurley seemed to have cut his foot on something. So when I got home, Dr. Elizabeth and Nurse Patrick set to work. I grabbed my headlamp to evaluate the patient. (Yes, I'm sure we looked pretty funny.) Nurse Patrick had the job of holding down the bear so he was voting to just crate him until morning, but I was determined to figure out where the blood was coming from. Eventually (like an hour later), I caved and agreed that it would be best to go with Nurse Patrick's plan of care. P.S. If you don't like blood, skip the next few photos.

about half the roll of paper towels
Hurley blood on the scrubs
We patched his foot enough to get him down to his crate without trailing blood through the house and then spent another hour scrubbing the carpet, cleaning the kitchen floors, and getting blood out of my scrubs. In the morning, all seemed well. No more bleeding. We figured it had scabbed over night and that we were in the clear. We were wrong...

I was pretty busy Wednesday getting ready for our annual Thanksgiving dinner with our d-groups. I was also cooking a Turkey (all 14lbs) for the very first time. With all the business inside that needed to be done, Hurley was having a nice "outside" day. Around 4:00, I heard him barking at the back door. I mindlessly walked over and let him in the house and watched helplessly as he created another blood trail across the carpet. I quickly gated him in the kitchen, called Patrick who was on his way home, called the vet who said to come on in, and by 4:15 we were pulling in to get his paw looked at. Long story shorter, the vet didn't do anything about it. It wasn't a wasted trip though because I asked that they go ahead and do his annual exam and vaccinations. The whole time people kept popping into our exam room and commenting on how bloody we were making it. Because I was concerned about the turkey at home, I was ready to get out of there. If the vet didn't think it needed stitches, then we were good right? Of course not...

When we arrived home, our bleeding bear went to his crate wearing the "cone of shame" and I cleaned the kitchen floor for the second time while Patrick worked on the carpet. The turkey, thankfully, turned out just fine. 

Not a happy camper
Hurley stayed crated all through dinner (which was fantastic, by the way). Around 9:30 when everyone was gone, we let him upstairs to see how he was doing. The vet had thought that after being crated again that it would stop bleeding. Not true. He trailed blood all through the house and all over the kitchen floor for a third time. This ridiculousness had to stop. So we grabbed some gauze and taped up his paw so that the blood trails would end. Hurley was not thrilled about this new addition either, but we left him like that until Friday. It sort of worked. Patrick and I were out of town this weekend on a Jr. high retreat and apparently there was a little more bleeding last night. Either way, I am not cleaning my floors for a while...

Our Thanksgiving Feast
Dessert and drink table
love them

No comments:

Post a Comment