Sunday, October 24, 2010

Brassy to Classy

Chandelier Makeover
(October Project) 


This month's project was definitely a lot easier and faster than September's. It took me approximately 3 hours from start to finish and I had never removed or replaced a light fixture before. So if you know how to handle light fixtures you can probably finish a lot faster. Here's a quick step-by-step...

First, I had to choose a color. I went with Rust-o-leum  "oil rubbed bronze". While this particular brand was a couple dollars more, it was the color I was looking for and boasted "quick drying" and no priming necessary. I figured it was worth the couple extra bucks especially considering what it would cost to replace a light fixture.



I jumped into removing the fixture without any knowledge as to what I was doing. It probably wasn't the best idea I've ever had, but I didn't get electrocuted so I guess it was a success.  I also removed the fake candles so I didn't have to worry about getting paint on them.


s

I had to clean up the fixture once I removed it. I just grabbed some windex and paper towels. Before I could start painting I was sure to tape off the sockets. They don't work if they're covered in paint.


Then I went outside and rigged up the chandelier using some webbing for rock climbing. Hurley thought it was pretty interesting.


Here you can see the difference the paint made.



A little up close shot...


After letting it dry a few minutes I took it inside to rehang. This is where I ran into a couple of little issues. First, I forgot to spray paint everything at the top of the fixture. I'll show you what I'm talking about in a second. Also, I hooked up the wires wrong and had to go back and rewire. It was a little time consuming.

Do you see the little brass stripe? I think I am going to get a Q-tip and fix it.



Overall, I am really happy with the result.



Much better than this...



It feels good to finish this month's project with some time to spare.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment